Tuesday, August 05, 2008

Happy Birthday Wendell Berry...and self.

Today is Wendell Berry's birthday, and as a tribute to his personage, I have written him a little ditty.

Oh Wendell Berry you write good stuff,
You are smart and really tough.
You live on a farm and love the land,
How I wish I could shake your hand.

Oh Wendell Berry, how wise, how grand,
Your words inspire me to rise and stand...
And whisper the truth about humanity,
Which echoes about on a daily basis.

Sorry about that last line, I couldn't think of a good word to rhyme with humanity.

Anyway, here is a poem that Wendell wrote that is an especial favourite of mine. I think his own words do him justice far more than anything I could ever write about him.

Woods

by Wendell Berry

I part the out thrusting branches
and come in beneath
the blessed and the blessing trees.
Though I am silent
there is singing around me.
Though I am dark
there is vision around me.
Though I am heavy
there is flight around me.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Jennie!

Anonymous said...

Do you really have the same birthday as Wendell Berry? I'm so jealous...wisdom must go along with that day!

Janna said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, my friend! hey, when are you coming back to my city? i am not there right now, but i am very excited to see you!

Jennie said...

hey thank you....janna, I just booked my flight for the 28th which is a thursday...where are you?