Sunday, May 28, 2006

On Friday afternoon I came home from work with the mindset of having a nice, quiet, relaxing weekend. However, when I stepped in the door my dad informed me that he had invited a missionary family and their 2 friends over for the evening and to possibly stay for the weekend. While I was running around the house cleaning the bathroom, and other nessesary things, a lot of grumpy, selfish thoughts were running through my head like, "I don't want 7 people staying in MY house" and "I bet I will end up looking after their 3 kids the whole evening" and "What were my parents thinking inviting missionaries over on a Friday night?" I knew I was being selfish at the time, but the interesting thing about being selfish is that at the time you don't really care whether you are being selfish or not, but afterwards you feel absolutely horrible. Anyway, the evening turned out exactly like I thought it would, and it didn't. I ended up looking after the two younger kids, but I enjoyed it, and the parents were so sweet and they thanked me, and I felt so blessed in the end. I was glad they had come, not just because they were missionaries, but also because they were genuine and sincere in their faith, and it reminded me that people are so much more important than my selfish needs. I have been given so much, and sometimes I hold on to what I have been given rather than sharing it with others. I hate it when I do that!

"Now that you have purified yourselves by obeying the truth so that you have sincere love for your brothers, love one another deeply, from the heart." 1 Peter 1:22

No comments: