I have been reading Brian McLaren's book Finding Faith and he talks a little about the different ways of experiencing God, and so I have been wondering when it is that I feel closest to God. I have made a list.
1. When I am walking and listening to music. Something about the rhythm and movement and connecting in a deeper way with what I am listening to and realizing how it is impacting me, and thinking thoughts and processing.
2. Reading poetry is a spiritual experience for me.
3. Working in the garden. For some reason, I have always preferred the cultivation part of gardening more than the planting. Making things look happy and trimmed and watered is very joyous.
4. Having conversations with people when you are able to understand how the other is feeling.
5. Being alone in my house and turning up the music REALLY loud and dancing like a crazy woman. Hee hee.
6. Crying, oh crying.
7. Receiving encouragement...it is so nice.
8. When you get to know a kid well enough that they feel safe with you and SNUGGLE...such a great feeling.
9. There is more, but I forget.
On another note...I had a moment of frustration yesterday...I have always been aware that I perhaps do not necessarily look my age, but do I really look so young, that the five people behind the counter would think that I was not capable of ordering a chicken? I waited for someone to assist me for about 7 minutes, and then this lady and her cart appear beside me and within seconds someone is there asking her what she would like. I know I need to become more pushy. Or maybe I just need to invest in some pearls, a neck kerchief and bright red lipstick.